Friday, February 26, 2010

Ohhh...Traumatizing Night!

I don't have pictures, but we had a pretty eventful Wednesday. I went and picked up the kids from Felecia's on Wednesday afternoon, we went to the grocery store, came home, we ate...then I thought to check Trevor's pants. No, we are not potty-trained just yet, but he is working on it. I really do not think he cares one way or another....that's another story in itself.

Soooo....when the pull up came off, he starts screaming...I look down, and his little thingy is red and swollen. Okay, no big deal, so I thought....I'll give him some benedryl and maybe the swelling will go down. (I've seen little boys come in the ER before for penis swelling, and we give benedryl, and that seems to cure it.) Little did I know, there was something brewing in there. By the time Joe got home, we checked it again, and in just an hour and a half, it had doubled in size and now had an area of pus in it. So, I decided it didn't need to wait until morning to see the pediatrician, so off to the ER we went.....home sweet home...I can't seem to get enough of that place!

I really didn't even know if I wanted to sign him in, I just wanted a Dr to look at it, just to see if anything needed to be done. So, by the time we got there, it was more swollen, and had more pus in it. By this time, I felt so bad for him. Dr. Baker thought that he needed to be sedated to have it drained, and we would consult Urology for that. Then came the IV....ohhhh just let me tell you how fun that was! LaKristen got it on the first stick...awesome job, by the way....we got it taped down, with a wrap around it and all. Well, he found the t-connector, and with one rip, it was gone. So, I had the bright idea to stick him myself, since there were so many people holding him down, he couldn't see what was going on....BAD IDEA. Your IV skills stink when you're sticking your child, let me just tell you! I know, I know...bad decision, but when your child is raising all kinds of you know what, and everyone in the ER can hear him, you just want it over with, and I knew no one else in that room wanted to stick him. When I say he was "that pt", I mean it! I was embarrassed! He was screaming, kicking, biting, sweating....it wasn't pretty, but at least I can admit it...some parents won't!!

So, after finally getting an IV on him (thank you Greg Kyser!!)....we were set. He was happy again, watching his dinosaur DVD and painting a duck that Sarah found him while we patiently waited on Urology. I thought to look at it again, and I'll be John Brown, if it didn't bust on it's own!! Ohhhhh well. IV not needed after all of that fighting. Urology still came to see him, put him on antibiotics, and we have to follow up with them next week.

Just another adventure to add to the list I guess! I'm just glad my little man's "winkie" is okay!!

5 comments:

Goldilocks said...

Wow! I am not sure what else to say. It sounds like you guys had one wild and crazy night. I am glad he is better and on the road to recovery.

Nicole said...

Poor guy! Talk about a BAD place for an abscess!!

Jenn said...

Look at the very bright side of things..it happened when he was 3 instead of 13. Thank goodness for small favors!

Glad he is on the way to recovery!

The Spencer Family said...

I'm glad Trevor is ok! & I know that was an experience for you. I think my child is "that patient" too! You should have seen her for her 2 year check up. When they went to weigh her you would have thought they were sticking her with a needle & it didn't stop there, she was horrible! Hopefully she won't have to come see y'all in the ER there is no telling how she would act there.

Ashley Trammell said...

That is awful Stacy. I can't imagine. I'm glad he is getting better!